Experiment 1 - The Datum

18 sketch sections










                          Google SketchUp Draft 



Given that this was just a draft model, I experimented with unusual shapes and shaped the landscape in a similar way to my sketch


I found it difficult to integrate the building into the landscape as I wasn't able to draw new geometry on curved surfaces


I created a shape similar to the underground section of my sketch and extruded it out


This SketchUp model was based off of this sketch with the adjective and verb 'Ostentatious' and 'Perplex':






















36 Custom Textures 


Above
In between
Below
Wavy
Translucent
Crystal
Geometric
Jagged
Smooth
Dented
Pixelated
Mesh
Conductive
Soft
Thin
Colourful
Metallic
Mechanical
Explosive
Dotted
Effervescence
Scorch
Silky
Barcode
Mesh
Baffling
Grainy

Rough/Coarse
Spiral
Creep
Rustic
Fluffy
Biological
Tire marks
Triangular
Scaly
Circular
Turbulent
Downward







Stair designs

Due to the context of my existing design for my studio, I did not want to complicate the stairs or otherwise it would look out of context with the rest of the building... So I created clean simplistic stairs that were mainly compromised of simple geometric shapes such as parallelograms or trapeziums.

I also liked the idea of cantilevered stairs as it would be most ideal when the stairs are placed into the context of the building



Stair designs in SketchUp


Stair design based on the first stair sketch I did. I decided to abandon this idea as the narrow opening was not ideal for carrying their work through


All the following stairs are intended to be cantilevered as I believe this design would best suit the part of my model that they are being integrated into 


Stairs comprised of trapeziums alternating orientation - makes for an interesting geometric pattern especially with the wall that conforms to its changing profile


Stairs comprised of parallelograms also intended to be used in an alternating pattern with a wall conforming to its edges


Simplistic stair design that has short treads and diagonal risers


I liked the idea of having stairs with a unique or intricate design on the other side that can act as support and as a sculptural aesthetic

YouTube video that represents my textures



The designer and their work in the workshop



I added easels (from the 3D warehouse) into the workspace to provide more context of their work as well


Exterior view showing the applied custom texture (turbulent). I believe this texture reflects the surrealism of CJ Hendry's artwork

Images of developed SketchUp model


Parallel projection (camera view) of entire model


Parallel projection into the interior of the ground level



Two-point perspective view of model



Perspective view of the underground section of the model


Section of space above ground and stairs connecting to it



Section of the underground space with stairs connecting to the ground level


Top section of the entire model 



Section of underground area


Animations of SketchUp model


Animation of exterior



Animation of interior



Animation of sections

Comments